Posted February 15, 2018
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Commensurate with education and experience.
This position reports to the Executive Director, Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance, an affiliate of the Michigan Fitness Foundation.
- Provide the Executive Director with assistance and outreach to advance the nonmotorized trails movement in Michigan, including:
- Strategizing with Michigan Trails Executive Director and board on initiatives to advance the needs of trail groups and trail users
- Preparation of membership and general interest content for multiple outlets
- Support for executive director’s legislative advocacy efforts
- Handle day-to-day responsibilities involving membership and fundraising, including, but not limited to,: o Management of membership communications, database, appeals, and events using social media tools, Method and MailChimp
- Utilize web and social media channels to mobilize membership for advocacy efforts
- Assistance with publications content and production management
- Overseeing newsletter content development, editing, proofreading and layout
- Update Michigan Trails website content
- Maintain Michigan Trails financial records and accounts
- Plan, promote and oversee the annual Michigander Bicycle Tour and other Michigan Trails events through:
- Route planning, mapping and logistics
- Sponsorship development and relationship management
- Content development for participant materials
- Venue, supplies, and meal procurement
- Travel independently in-state and out-of-state, on weekdays and weekends.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Strong enthusiasm for strengthening Michigan’s status as the #1 Trails State
- Significant event management experience including volunteer management
- Social media and marketing expertise
- Strong media relations skills
- Experience with organizational membership campaigns
- Bookkeeping and budgeting experience
- Graphic design experience desirable, particularly using InDesign and Photoshop
- Ability to exercise a high degree of confidentiality, discretion, and independent judgment
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent written communication skills, including editing and proofreading
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently or collaboratively with others toward the achievement of common goals
- Demonstrated problem solving, conceptual thinking, and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure, balancing multiple responsibilities, deadlines, and changing priorities
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will frequently remain in a stationery position as well as be required to walk, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility.
- Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Manual dexterity and coordination are required while operating standard office equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work in usual office working conditions where noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments with telephones, personal interruptions, and background noises.
- Occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions.
- Work assignments occasionally require attendance at evening and weekend events and will at times require overnight travel.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to provide proof of valid auto insurance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email cover letter, resume, and references, indicating “Assistant Director, MTGA” in the subject line, to Bob Wilson, Executive Director.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 2, 2018, or until a suitable candidate is found.
The Michigan Fitness Foundation is an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. The Michigan Fitness Foundation reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Lansing.
Communications and Events Intern
We will open this up for resume submissions on or before August 1, 2018.
Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance, an affiliate of the statewide nonprofit, Michigan Fitness Foundation, is looking to hire an enthusiastic marketing and events intern to assist with carrying out our mission of helping people build, promote, and connect trails for a healthier and more prosperous Michigan.
Working under the executive director and assistant director, qualified candidates are undergraduate seniors and/or graduate students seeking on-the-job experience. Excellent writing and communication skills required. Applicants should be task oriented, highly organized and possess excellent research skills, as well as a strong interest in trail development and trail towns tourism initiatives.
Writing & Research
- Writing for at least 2 Newsletter Articles for each of 4 quarterly Michigan Trails newsletters.
- Materials development for meetings and conferences.
- Information gathering.
- Fact checking online, by telephone and email.
- General research.
- Mail Chimp; Member eBlasts for trail events, trail initiatives, trail meetings and member newsletters.
- Survey Monkey for collecting data regarding trails and trail events.
- Social Media; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.
- Logistics from conception to completion for conferences and trail events.
- Event assistant for The Michigander Bicycle Tour
- Meeting planning for public meetings and conferences.
- Microsoft Office, primarily Outlook, Excel and Word.
- WordPress; updating content, link checking, photo updates.
- Membership updates using Method CRM (general database knowledge)
- Adobe Creative Suite
# Hours Needed
- Academic Year: 12 hours per week on average (to be set between with internship candidate prior to the start of the internship).
- Summer: Up to 32 hours per week.
- Full time (with overtime available)
- Available for the Michigander Bicycle Tour (July 15-22, 2017).
Pay: $10 per hour (benefits not included)
Intern Year: September, 2016 – August, 2017
This is a paid internship located at the Michigan Fitness Foundation in a casual yet professional environment in Old Town Lansing. Located in the northern end of Lansing, Old Town overlooks the Grand River and the Lansing River Trail. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the North Lansing Historic Commercial District, the district was established in the mid-19th century and is filled with unique shops and award winning restaurants.
How to Apply
This position will reopen to applicants in August, 2018.