Michigander Bicycle Tour
“One of the Top 10 Multi-Day Rides in America”
Tour the Sunrise Side and Celebrate the Michigan State Parks 100th Anniversary
Explore Tawas City, Oscoda, Lupton, Rose City, Higgins Lake, Cadillac, Tustin, Leroy, Reed City and Evart
- 2-Day Weekend, July 13-14
- 6-Day Tour, July 13-18
The 28th annual Michigander Bicycle Tour will take place July 13-18 on the Sunrise Side, featuring a 2-day and 6-day ride that showcases Lake Huron, the Iron Belle Trail and the 100th Anniversary of the Michigan State Parks as it travels through Tawas City, Oscoda, Lupton, Rose City, Higgins Lake, Cadillac, Tustin, Leroy, Reed City and Evart. Riders will enjoy the Rifle River Recreation Area, Higgins Lake State Park and William Mitchell State Park as they travel along the Iron Belle and the Fred Meijer White Pine Trails, as well as a portion of the Pere Marquette Rail Trail.
This region is known for its vast tracks of forest; wilderness areas, sandy beaches, crystal clear lakes, winding rivers and the gorgeous Lake Huron coastline. The featured Iron Belle Trail travels from Detroit’s Belle Isle at the southeast corner of Michigan all the way to Ironwood in the western Upper Peninsula. Cyclists will experience the Iron Belle Trail, the Fred Meijer White Pine Trail and Pere Marquette Rail Trail which make up a portion of the Great Lake to Lake Trail Route #2.
The tour offers two options, a 2-day tour and a 6-day tour. All routes are paved with a combination of road and trail on the unfinished Iron Belle Trail.
Registration is open from February 1 through June 30.
The 2-Day Weekend is designed to be a casual, easy ride. It is a loop ride, which means everyone will ride out and back on the same route, so those that prefer a shorter ride can simply turn back at any time.
This year, the 6-Day Tour will move four times. This means we will loop in and out of camp at Tawas City on the opening weekend, then move onto Rifle River, Higgins Lake and Cadillac with a one night stay in each city.
Camping is included with your registration.
2-Day Weekend: Arrive after 6:00 pm on Friday, July 12/Depart by 4:00 pm on Sunday, July 14
July 12-14: Tawas City Elementary School
6-Day Ride: Park at end of the ride in Evart and bus to Tawas City at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 12 or drop off in Tawas City after 6:00 pm on Friday, July 12/Depart by 4:00 pm on Thursday, July 18
July 12-15: Tawas City Elementary School
July 15-16: Rifle River Recreation Area
July 16-17: Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center on Higgins Lake
July 17-18: Cadillac High School
About 25% of the riders stay in nearby recommended hotels. For those that prefer to have someone else set up their camp, Michigan Cycling Charters is our official tour provider, they offer rental tents, as well as set up and tear down service for a reasonable fee. In addition to their tenting services, they also offer towel, chair, memory foam sleeping pad rentals and shuttle service to nearby hotels for a nominal fee. Keep in mind, it is important to sign up in advance, especially for hotel shuttle service prior to the ride. Space is limited for the hotel shuttle service and shuttle service is not provided to all area hotels. Download: Michigan Cycling Charters Reservation Form.
Hotels, Lodges and Inns
Rooms do sell out quickly and this is peak summer season in a very busy vacation area. Check the registration site for an updated list of alternative lodging.
The Michigander Bicycle Tour includes:
- 2-Day Ride: Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast featuring healthy and hearty fare (Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free options). Lunch and Saturday breakfast on your own.
- 6-Day Ride: breakfast daily with dinner buffets beginning Saturday
- Camping and hot showers
- Gourmet morning coffee
- Evening shuttles to town in Tawas City and Higgins Lake
- SAG support (rest stops with ice water, gatorade, NUUN, fresh fruit, Kind Bars and healthy snacks every 10-15 miles)
- Full medical team, Red Cross certified volunteers with experiences cyclists monitoring the safety of the route (SAG Sweeps) and the roads (Roving SAGs) and to provide assistance to riders
- Baggage transport; 2 bags up to 40lbs each per rider (when moving to Rifle River, Higgins Lake and Cadillac)
- Cell phone charging stations
- A team of 40 experienced volunteers to support you and yours during all facets of the ride. Many have been with us since the ride’s inception.
Additional Fee Based Amenities
• Mobile bicycle repair & maintenance
• Massage therapist
• Michigan Cycling Charters; Kelty Tent rental with setup and take down each day with your baggage waiting in your tent, set up and take down each day with your baggage in your provided tent, cooler and chair rentals and more.
Click on SignUp for more detailed registration information.
6-Day Tour Adult $495
6-Day Tour Youth $425
2-Day Weekend Adult $154
2-Day Weekend Youth $115
Adult Age: 13 and older
Youth Age: 7-12
Youth 6 and under free
Full routes will be made available through Ride with GPS freely to all registrants, here is a preview (from left to right 6-Day draft, Day 1 of 2-Day draft, Day 2 of 2-Day draft):
Click here to be redirected to Ride with GPS to view the routes.
Mileage Along Routes
Route and mileage subject to change due to safety and/or construction issues
2-Day Total 50-55 miles
- Tawas City to Whitney Township – 30 miles
- Tawas City to Lumberman’s Monument & Iargo Falls – 20-25 miles
6-Day Total 251 miles
- Tawas City to Whitney Township – 30 miles
- Tawas City loop to Oscoda, Lumberman’s Monument & Iargo Falls – 55 miles
- Tawas City to Lupton – 31 miles
- Lupton to Higgins Lake – 42 miles
- Higgins Lake to Cadillac – 51 miles
- Cadillac to Evart – 42 miles
- February 1: Registration opens
- February 15: Paper registration opens
- March 15: Official Michigander ride jersey and T-shirts will be available for pre-order.
- May 1: Paper registration and preorder merchandise for ride jerseys, tanks and hoodies closes
- June 1: Preorder merchandise for ride t-shirts closes
Note: We will have a very limited supply of merchandise available on the ride, it is always best to preorder.
- June 15: No refunds.
- June 30: Registration closes.
- RunSignUp assesses a registration fee ranging from $6 to $25 per registrant which is dependent on the base cost of your ride registration. You will see the registration fee at check out.
- Online registrants may cancel their ride registration at any time through June 15 with a $35 cancellation fee.
- Online merchandise cancellations must be processed by us to process the cancellation (sorry, the program doesn’t let you cancel at this time).
- Paper registrants may cancel their ride registration through May 15 with a $35 cancellation fee and all requests must be received .
- Questions? (info (at) michigantrails. org). Note: we are rarely available by phone as we are often out on the road planning the event. Please, email or be patient as it can take up to two weeks for us to return phone calls.
- Stay in the know via regular updates through the Michigander Bicycle Tour Facebook Page.