Michigander Bicycle Tour
“One of the Top 10 Multi-Day Rides in America” ~Bicycling Magazine
Michigan’s Classic Cycling Vacation Rolls into the Most Beautiful Place in America:::Traverse City-Leland-Frankfort: July 15-22, 2017
Registration opens January 25, 2017
The Michigander Bicycle Tour combines beautiful trails, Great Lakes beaches, lighthouses, rivers, virgin white pines, and vineyards in this vibrant region known as Northwest Michigan. Home to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, dubbed the ” Most Beautiful Place in America by tens of thousands of viewers from ABC’s Good Morning America, cyclists will surely be amazed at the inspiring vistas and challenging terrain in one of the nation’s best kept secrets.
The tour offers three options; 2-Day Tour, 6-Day Tour or 8-day Tour (which combines both the 2-Day and 6-Day tours). Routes are mostly paved or crushed limestone, and on occasion short jaunts on dirt roads. The 2-Day Michigander is designed to be a casual, easy ride up to 25-30 miles each day. It starts and finishes in the same town, so those that prefer a shorter ride can simply turn back at any time. The 6-Day Tour moves upwards of 50-60 miles a day and moves from town to town.
The 2-Day Michigander will take place in Traverse City and is designed to be a casual, easy ride. It is a loop ride, which means everyone will ride out and back on the same route, so those that prefer a shorter ride can simply turn back at any time. This year, the 6-Day Michigander will begin in Frankfort Michigan and will move every 2 days. This means we will loop in and out of camp at each location on the first day, then move on to the next and will just set up camp three times as opposed to six times as in past years. The three camp locations are Frankfort, Leland and Traverse City, then back to the finish line in Frankfort on day 6 to complete the tour. By offering two days in each location, cyclists will have more opportunities to experience the towns and know they can relax a bit more without having to set up and tear down each day as in tours past.
Camping is included with your registration. We will camp at the Grand Traverse Civic Center, Frankfort High School and Leland High School.
About 25% of the riders stay in nearby recommended hotels. For those that prefer to have someone else set up their camp, Michigan Cycling Charters is our official tour provider, they offer rental tents, as well as set up and tear down service for a reasonable fee. In addition to their tenting services, they also offer towel, chair and cooler rentals and shuttle service to our recommended hotels for a nominal fee.
Hotel Room Blocks
We set up the best rates when possible for you to book yourself in a mix of hotels, inns, cabins and bed and breakfasts as close as we can to camp.
Each property on our list will offer their room blocks through June 30, 2017 at the rates listed. Rooms do sell out quickly and this is peak summer season in a very busy resort area.
The Michigander Bicycle Tour includes:
• Breakfast and Dinner Buffet daily featuring healthy and hearty fare (Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free options). Please note, on Thursday of the tour, we will provide breakfast and lunch and everyone will be on their own for dinner in Traverse City, which is a culinary mecca here in the Upper Midwest.
• Hot Showers/Shower Trucks
• Gourmet Coffee each morning
• Evening Shuttles to local towns
• SAGs with Fresh Ice Water and More Fresh Fruites and Snacks every 10-15 miles
• Baggage transport
• Cell phone charging stations
• Evening entertainment
• Yoga & Stretching
Additional Fee Based Amenities
• Mobile Bicycle Repair & Maintenance
• Massage Therapists
• Michigan Cycling Charters; Kelty Tent rental with setup and take down each day with your baggage waiting in your tent, set up and take down each day with your baggage in your provided tent, cooler and chair rentals and more.
Rates (2016 rates for an overview only, 2017 rates will be posted in January)
• 2-Day $125 adult | $75 youth (7-12) | Youth 6 & under are free
• 6-Day $450 adult | $400 youth (7-12) | Youth 6 & under are free
• 8-Day $525 | $475 youth (7-12) | Youth 6 & under are free
Youth 6 & under are free with parent or legal guardian, all minors must have medical release forms with them at all times during the ride.
Meal plans for non-riding companions and private SAGs are available for purchase during the registration process.
- June 30: Registration closes.
- May 1: Preorder merchandise for ride jerseys and tee shirts closes May 1
(We will have a limited supply of merchandise available on the ride, it is always best to preorder).
- May 1: Paper registrations with payment by check closes.
- June 15: No refunds.
- Online registrants may cancel their ride registration at any time through June 15 with a $35 cancellation fee.
- Online merchandise cancellations must be processed by us via email to process the cancellation (sorry, the program doesn’t let you cancel at this time).
- Paper registrants may cancel their ride registration through June 15 with a $35 cancellation fee and all requests must be received via email.
- Questions? Email is the best way to reach us. If you prefer to call, our number is 517-485-6022 and we are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Calling after hours? Sure, just leave a detailed message.
Paper registrations with payment by check will be accepted between February 1 and May 1, 2017. The downloadable form will be posted here when registration goes live January.
Bookmark this page and check back often.
Looking for the Michigander Merchandise Store? Click here.