Michigander Bicycle Tour
“One of the Top 10 Multi-Day Rides in America”
“The Most Beautiful Place in America”
~ABC’s Good Morning America
The Michigander Bicycle Tour Rolls into Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Traverse City, Leland and Frankfort from July 15-22, 2017.
- Download 2017 Michigander Information Guide
- Download Route Overview Map
- Download Safety & Ride Etiquette
- Download 2-Day Ride Book
- Download 6-Day Ride Book
- Download ZIP Archive of GPX and KML Route Files
The Michigander Bicycle Tour combines beautiful trails, Great Lakes beaches, lighthouses, rivers, virgin white pines, and vineyards in this vibrant region known as Northwest Michigan. Home to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, dubbed the ” Most Beautiful Place in America by tens of thousands of viewers from ABC’s Good Morning America, cyclists will surely be amazed at the inspiring vistas and challenging terrain in one of the nation’s best kept secrets.
The tour offers three options; 2-Day Tour, 6-Day Tour or 8-day Tour (which combines both the 2-Day and 6-Day tours). Routes are mostly paved or crushed limestone, and on occasion on dirt roads.
The 2-Day Michigander is designed to be a casual, easy ride up to 25-30 miles each day. It starts and finishes in the same town, so those that prefer a shorter ride can simply turn back at any time. The 6-Day Tour moves upwards of 50-60 miles a day and moves from town to town every two days.
The 2-Day Weekend will take place in Traverse City and is designed to be a casual, easy ride. It is a loop ride, which means everyone will ride out and back on the same route, so those that prefer a shorter ride can simply turn back at any time.
This year, the 6-Day Tour will begin in Frankfort Michigan and will move every 2 days. This means we will loop in and out of camp at each location on the first day, then move on to the next and will just set up camp three times as opposed to six times as in past years. The three camp locations are Frankfort, Leland and Traverse City, then back to the finish line in Frankfort on day 6 to complete the tour. By offering two days in each location, cyclists will have more opportunities to experience the towns and know they can relax a bit more without having to set up and tear down each day as in tours past.
The 8-Day Tour is a combination of the 2-Day Weekend and the 6-Day Tour.
Camping is included with your registration. We will camp at the Grand Traverse Civic Center, Frankfort High School and Leland High School.
About 25% of the riders stay in nearby recommended hotels. For those that prefer to have someone else set up their camp, Michigan Cycling Charters is our official tour provider, they offer rental tents, as well as set up and tear down service for a reasonable fee. In addition to their tenting services, they also offer towel, chair and cooler rentals and shuttle service to our recommended hotels for a nominal fee.
Hotels, Lodges and Inns
We have curated a great list of hotels, inns, cabins and bed and breakfasts as close as we can to camp for those that prefer alternate accommodations.
Rooms do sell out quickly and this is peak summer season in a very busy resort area. For details download the 2017 Michigander Information Guide and book early.
The Michigander Bicycle Tour includes:
• Breakfast and Dinner Buffet daily featuring healthy and hearty fare (Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free options). Please note, on Thursday of the tour, we will provide breakfast and lunch and everyone will be on their own for dinner in Traverse City, which is a culinary mecca here in the Upper Midwest.
• Hot Showers/Shower Trucks
• Gourmet Coffee each morning
• Evening Shuttles to local towns
• SAGs with Fresh Ice Water and More Fresh Fruites and Snacks every 10-15 miles
• Baggage transport
• Cell phone charging stations
• Evening entertainment
• Yoga & Stretching
Additional Fee Based Amenities
• Mobile Bicycle Repair & Maintenance
• Massage Therapists
• Michigan Cycling Charters; Kelty Tent rental with setup and take down each day with your baggage waiting in your tent, set up and take down each day with your baggage in your provided tent, cooler and chair rentals and more.
• 2-Day $125 adult | $75 youth (7-12) | Youth 6 & under are free
• 6-Day $455 adult | $400 youth (7-12) | Youth 6 & under are free
• 8-Day $530 | $475 youth (7-12) | Youth 6 & under are free
Youth 6 & under are free with parent or legal guardian, all minors must have medical release forms with them at all times during the ride.
Meal plans for non-riding companions are available for purchase during the registration process.
Information Guide: Download 2017 Michigander Information Guide
- June 30: Registration closes.
- March 1: Official 2017 Michigander Ride Jersey will be available for preorder.
- February 1: Paper Registration will be available for those who prefer to pay by check.
- May 1: Preorder merchandise for ride jerseys and tee shirts closes May 1
(We will have a limited supply of merchandise available on the ride, it is always best to preorder).
- May 1: Paper registrations with payment by check closes.
- June 15: No refunds.
- RunSignUp assesses a registration fee ranging from $6 to $25 per registrant which is dependent on the base cost of your ride registration. ]You will see the registration fee at check out.
- Online registrants may cancel their ride registration at any time through June 15 with a $35 cancellation fee.
- Online merchandise cancellations must be processed by us via email to process the cancellation (sorry, the program doesn’t let you cancel at this time).
- Paper registrants may cancel their ride registration through June 15 with a $35 cancellation fee and all requests must be received via email.
- Questions? Email (info (at) michigantrails. org) is the best way to reach us. If you prefer to call, our number is 517-485-6022 and we are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Calling after hours? Sure, just leave a detailed message.
- Stay in the know via regular updates through the Michigander Bicycle Tour Facebook Page.
Paper registrations with payment by check will be accepted between February 1 and May 1, 2017.
Information Guide: Download 2017 Michigander Information Guide
Looking for the Michigander Merchandise Store? Click here.