Michigander Bicycle Tour
“One of the top 10 multi-day rides in America” – Bicycling Magazine
Tour the Two Peninsulas
Explore Traverse City, Old Mission Peninsula, Suttons Bay, Frankfort, and the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Tour dates: July 13-18, 2020.
Riders are welcome to camp and register on the night of July 12, 2020.
The 29th annual Michigander Bicycle Tour will take place July 13-18 along Lake Michigan, allowing participants to ride their choice of 1-6 days. This tour showcases Lake Michigan, TART Trails, and the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park as it travels to Traverse City, Old Mission Peninsula, Suttons Bay, Frankfort, Thompsonville, and Glen Arbor. Riders will enjoy picturesque views of Lake Michigan as they travel along the Leelanau Trail, Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail, and Betsie Valley Trail.
Leelanau County is known as the Land of Delight, for its beautiful protected lands, waterways, and coastlines. The featured Leelanau Trail travels from Traverse City to Suttons Bay. The tour also features the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail, which extends from Empire to Glen Arbor, and the Betsie Valley Trail, which connects Frankfort and Thompsonville.
The tour offers a choice between a 1 to 6-day ride. All routes are paved with a combination of road and trail.
The first two days of the tour, Mon. July 13 and Tues July 14 are staged from Traverse City and make an ideal trip for fans of the 2-day Michigander. These days represent lower mileage at 39 miles and 47 miles with a loop that could be skipped if needed. Additional choices for a 2-day tour are also available, please check back soon for fully vetted routes with mileage, we are still researching.
- Day 1 – Travel from Traverse City to the tip of Old Mission Peninsula
- Day 2 – Travel from Traverse City to Suttons Bay on the Leelanau Trail
- Day 3 – Travel from Traverse City to Frankfort
- Day 4 – Travel from Frankfort to Glen Arbor on the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail
- Day 5 – Travel from Frankfort to Thompsonville on the Bestie Valley Trail
- Day 6 – Travel from Frankfort back to Traverse City
*Please note that these are subject to change
- Catered breakfasts and dinners
- Gourmet morning coffee
- SAG Support
- Full medical team
- Baggage transport
- Cell phone charging stations
- A team of volunteers to support you during the ride
- Free bus to take riders from the Civic Center to downtown Traverse City
Additional Fee-Based Amenities
- Mobile bike repair and maintenance
- Massage therapist
Check back soon to support the work of Michigan Trails as a Michigander Sponsor
All routes below are tentative and may undergo changes. Final Routes will be identified with the word “FINAL” in the title of the route as we progress over the coming months.
Mileage Along Routes
Routes are to be determined. Daily mileage will range from 40-65 miles a day.
We will notify all previous riders when registration is open, check back for registration deadlines.