Michigander Bicycle Tour
“One of the Top 10 Multi-Day Rides in America”
Top of Michigan Trails – Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Harbor Springs, Indian River, Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Onaway & Petoskey
July 14-21, 2018
2-Day Weekend, July 14-15
6-Day Tour, July 16-21
8-Day Tour, July 14-21
Downloads & Hot Links
- Detailed Ride Information
- Download Safety & Ride Etiquette
- Download Michigan Cycling Charters Tent Rentals and Hotel Shuttle Service Rates and Reservation Form
- Download Paper Registration
- Registration is open from January 31-June 30
- Paper Registration by check is accepted from February 15-May 1
- Ride Jerseys, Tanks and Hoodies: all preorders must be placed by May 1
- Ride T-Shirts: all preorders must be placed by June 1
- We will have a limited amount of merchandise available on the ride this year, we highly suggest all preorder.
North Central Michigan is home to excellent trails and towns to be explored on the 27th Annual Michigander Bicycle Tour from July 14-21. Featured towns include Boyne City, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Harbor Springs, Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Petoskey, and all points in between stretching from Lake Huron to Lake Michigan.
This region is known for its scenery; sandy beaches, crystal clear lakes, winding rivers and the expansive shorelines dotted with shipwrecks and lighthouses. The Top of Michigan Trails manages a fantastic network of trails that cover nearly 300 miles of Northern Michigan. Cyclists will experience the following trails: North Central State Trail, North Eastern State Trail, North Western State Trail, Little Traverse Wheelway, Burt Lake Trail, Charlevoix Township Bike Path, and Petoskey City Trails, which combined make up a portion of the Great Lake to Lake Trail Route #3 and the Iron Belle Trail. Because of the expanse of this trail network, there are also ample opportunities for cyclists who like a longer ride to easily take on more miles than the planned routes each day. An additional option to tour car-free Mackinac Island will give Michigander riders the ability to explore up to 70 miles of trails, on the quaint Island that is considered “One of the Top Ten Islands in the World” by Conde Nast Traveler and National Geographic.
The tour offers three options; 2-Day Tour, 6-Day Tour or 8-day Tour (which combines both the 2-Day and 6-Day tours). Routes are a combination of trails and backroads with paved and crushed limestone surfaces on the mainland routes and paved and natural surfaces on Mackinac Island.
Registration is open from January 31 through June 30.
The 2-Day Weekend is designed to be a casual, easy ride. It is a loop ride, which means everyone will ride out and back on the same route, so those that prefer a shorter ride can simply turn back at any time.
This year, the 6-Day Tour will move every 2 days. This means we will loop in and out of camp at each location on the first day, then move on to the next and will just set up camp three times as opposed to six times as in past years. By offering two days in each location, cyclists will have more opportunities to experience the towns and know they can relax a bit more without having to set up and tear down each day as in tours past.
The 8-Day Tour is a combination of the 2-Day Weekend and the 6-Day Tour.
Camping is included with your registration.
2-Day Weekend: Arrive after 6:00 pm on Friday, July 13/Depart by 4:00 pm on Sunday, July 15
July 13-15: Cheboygan High School
About 25% of the riders stay in nearby recommended hotels. For those that prefer to have someone else set up their camp, Michigan Cycling Charters is our official tour provider, they offer rental tents, as well as set up and tear down service for a reasonable fee. In addition to their tenting services, they also offer towel, chair, memory foam sleeping pad rentals and shuttle service to our recommended hotels for a nominal fee. Keep in mind, it is important to sign up in advance, especially for hotel shuttle service prior to the ride. Space is limited for the hotel shuttle service. Download: Michigan Cycling Charters Reservation Form
Hotels, Lodges and Inns
We will provide a curated list of hotels, inns, cabins and bed and breakfasts as close as we can to camp for those that prefer alternate accommodations. Rooms do sell out quickly and this is peak summer season in a very busy resort area. For details, visit the registration website for details and links.
- The Michigander Bicycle Tour includes:
• 2-Day Ride: Breakfast Daily featuring healthy and hearty fare (Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free options). Lunch and dinners on your own.
• 6-Day Ride: Breakfast Daily with Dinner Buffets most nights…New this year is Explore and Eat Local, designed so that riders can head downtown to experience local cuisine on their own on select evenings. Be sure to reference the Ride Guide or our Information Hub for our favorite curated picks in all price ranges.
• Camping and Hot Showers
• Gourmet Morning Coffee
• Evening Shuttles to town in Petoskey and Harbor Springs (no need in Cheboygan as everyone will have their vehicles).
• SAG Support (Rest stops with ice water, gatorade, NUUN, fresh fruit, Kind Bars and healthy snacks every 10-15 miles.
• Full medical team, Red Cross certified volunteers with experiences cyclists monitoring the safety of the route (SAG Sweeps) and the roads (Roving SAGs) and to provide assistance to riders.
• Baggage transport; 2 bags up to 40lbs each per rider (when moving to Petoskey, Harbor Springs and back to Cheboygan).
• Cell phone charging stations
• Evening entertainment
- A team of 60 experienced volunteers to support you and yours during all facets of the ride. Many have been with us since the ride’s inception.
Additional Fee Based Amenities
• Mobile Bicycle Repair & Maintenance
• Massage Therapists
• Michigan Cycling Charters; Kelty Tent rental with setup and take down each day with your baggage waiting in your tent, set up and take down each day with your baggage in your provided tent, cooler and chair rentals and more.
8-Day Tour Adult $575
8-Day Tour Youth $495
6-Day Tour Adult $495
6-Day Tour Youth $425
2-Day Weekend Adult $135
2-Day Weekend Youth $95
Adult Age: 13 and older
Youth Age: 7-12
Youth 6 and under free
- January 31: Registration Opens
- January 31: Official Michigander Ride Jersey and T-Shirts will be available for pre-order.
- February 15: Paper Registration opens
April 15: Paper Registration closes
- May 1: Preorder merchandise for ride jerseys, tanks and hoodies closes
- June 1: Preorder merchandise for ride t-shirts closes
Note: We will have a very limited supply of merchandise available on the ride, it is always best to preorder.
- June 15: No refunds.
- June 30: Registration closes.
- RunSignUp assesses a registration fee ranging from $6 to $25 per registrant which is dependent on the base cost of your ride registration. You will see the registration fee at check out.
- Online registrants may cancel their ride registration at any time through June 15 with a $35 cancellation fee.
- Online merchandise cancellations must be processed by us via email to process the cancellation (sorry, the program doesn’t let you cancel at this time).
- Paper registrants may cancel their ride registration through May 15 with a $35 cancellation fee and all requests must be received via email.
- Questions? Email (info (at) michigantrails. org). Note: we are rarely available by phone as we are often out on the road planning the event. Please, email or be patient as it can take up to two weeks for us to return phone calls.
- Stay in the know via regular updates through the Michigander Bicycle Tour Facebook Page.
Main Image: Petoskey Harbor by Scott Dreslinksi.
Looking for the Michigander Merchandise Store? Click here.